IMPORTANT – VOLUNTEER/COMMUNITY SERVICE UPDATES FOR 2021-2022
- Students graduating in June 2022 – the Ministry of Education has reduced the minimum required number of community service hours to 20 in response to ongoing COVID restrictions.
- The minimum required community service hours for graduation is expected to return to 40 for the 2022-2023 school year and beyond.
- Effective immediately, all students can earn up to 10 hours of community service from paid employment. You will be required to submit a written reflection via MyWay outlining how your work hours are connected to volunteerism/community service.
- It feels good to get involved in your community.
- You meet other people (network).
- You gain new skills and experiences.
- You need 40 hours to graduate from high school.
- Your volunteer experience may help you when applying for scholarships and/or competitive post-secondary programs.
How to Keep Track of Your Hours
- Submit/track your volunteer hours online via the MyWay website. You no longer have to hand in paper copies of your hours to the guidance office.
- To help you keep track of your community service, use the Activity Tracking Record – download HERE.
- View the WRDSB Community Involvement Manual HERE.
- Make sure you get the Community Sponsor’s and your parent’s signatures (or get contact info to provide for tracking – phone # and/or email)
- Graduating students should submit their Tracking Record by mid-May of your graduating year to ensure these are posted well ahead of commencement ceremonies.
Visit this page often for updated volunteer and part-time job opportunities in the SJAM community. More information is also available on the bulletin board across from the guidance offices.
Great Resource to Connect With Local Agencies/Groups
Ads updated weekly – check back regularly
SVP Teens is a youth volunteer philanthropy program in the Waterloo Region. Every year, we fundraise toward the SVP Teens Community Grant, which is awarded in June to a local charity chosen by our members. We are hoping to recruit new members and connecting with students at SJAM.
For the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, we are looking for members between grade 7 and 12 for any executive positions as well as general member positions. No experience required! Check out the links/info below!