As of September 2022, Grade 9 students will no longer be required to choose between applied or academic-level courses. This change is the result of strong evidence across Waterloo Region and Ontario that supports not having Grade 8 students choose between applied and academic courses. The goal is to provide more equitable outcomes for all students. This shift is called de-streaming.
HOW DOES DESTREAMING IMPACT OUR GRADE 9 PROGRAM/COURSES FOR SEPT. 2022?
- SCIENCE & MATH:
- available as destreamed courses only (SNC1WI and MTH1WI) – academic and applied levels are no longer available
- ENGLISH & GEOGRAPHY:
- offered as academic only (applied courses are removed)
- offered at the academic level for students who have received elementary French training (FSF1DI)
- new open-level FSF1OI course for students with little or no French background (based on recommendations from grade 8 school) – not for students with French experience
- students coming from French Immersion – ENRICHED FRENCH is still available (FSF1DX) as of time of posting
- FAST FORWARD:
- not affected by destreaming changes – essential/Fast Forward courses continue as usual from grade 9 to 12
- PRE-ADVANCED PLACEMENT/AP:
- Math and science pre-AP courses are no longer available at WRSDB schools due to removal of streaming/course levels in grade 9
- Unless further Ministry changes are announced, PRE-AP math will commence in grade 10 (MPM2DW) – no application necessary, but students should have a very strong foundation in grade 9 math to proceed
- Pre-AP science courses begin in grade 11 (Chemistry SCH3UW & Physics SPH3UW) – requires academic level science in grade 10
For additional information regarding future destreaming, please reach out to our GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT or speak with your grade 8 school guidance teacher!