Applications for current grade 9-11 students will open February
Deadline March 2021
Our pre-AP and advanced placement courses are built on our academic and university level courses, adding more in-depth units of study while accelerating course content. Students have the opportunity to experience enriched, intensive study in their subjects of interest and strength, while preparing themselves for the knowledge and background equivalents to first-year university study during their grade 12 year (AP level courses).
- NEW FOR 2021-2022 – based on recommendations from the review of the AP program during the 2019/2020 academic year and due to the Ministry of Education’s directive to reorient Grade 9 programming for September 2021, changes to SJAM’s pre-AP/AP program are as follows:
- MATH – will commence in grade 10 (apply in grade 9)
- SCIENCE – will commence in grade 11 for Physics and Chemistry (apply in grade 10)
- This will allow teachers, as subject specialists, to better support the student’s application and their opportunity for success.
- Advanced Placement (AP) program offers students the opportunity to pursue university-level studies while still in high school.
- Students can earn credits for many universities and colleges in Canada and the USA.
- Enrolling in Pre-AP courses prepares students for success in senior (grade 12) Advanced Placement courses (Calculus, Chemistry & Physics)
- Pre-AP extends the current curriculum and enriches specific learning outcomes.
- NOTE – SJAM also offers Enriched French in grade 9-12 for students coming from French Immersion programs.
- Although Pre-AP extends the curriculum, evaluation is based on the regular academic Ontario curriculum.
- Visit our Pre-AP/AP page for more information.
Based on a student’s performance on optional AP exams (typically written in spring of grade 12), they may earn a transfer credit, advanced placement or both for that subject in first-year university. Where applicable, each university decides independently how to recognize successful completion of AP courses/exams and has clear AP policies which students can access through university websites or our own guidance counsellors.
AP courses cover BOTH Ontario curriculum and AP content. Students’ final course marks are based on their demonstration of knowledge of the Ontario curriculum. Evaluation of AP content occurs during the final standardized exam written in grade 12.
Students should consider pre-AP courses (grades 10-11) as more of a mindset than an actual destination stream. The focus of these courses should be on developing the skills and habits needed for success in grade 12 AP courses, including inquiry, problem solving, critical thinking and creativity, communication and collaboration. Courses are designed to tap into students’ genuine passions for subject content while providing an enriched environment for those seeking an extra challenge beyond academic or university level.
SJAM is proud to offer the following courses as part of our exciting
Pre-Advanced Placement (grades 10 & 11) and Advanced Placement (grade 12) program:
Math (MCR3UW & MHF4UW – one each semester)
GRADE 12 AP COURSES
Students may apply for one single pre-AP course or up to 3 pre-AP courses (the Grade 11 MCR3UW + MHF4UW count as one selection and are packaged during the same school year – 1 per semester). These courses will be taught by separate teachers. This year applications will be completed via an on-line process (see link above).
NOTE – students will NOT be able to select pre-AP or AP level courses in MyWay. Please select the regular academic or university level for the pre-AP/AP course you plan to take. Guidance counsellors will change course codes after final approvals for all pre-AP applicants.