For the 2018-19 school year SJAM will be aligning its Exam Schedule with the majority of other WRDSB schools following the ‘Exam by Period” model. We will also be eliminating our Double Day schedules to spread out exams for students and maximize efficiency and study time. Please do not hesitate to call school administration if you have any questions about this change to our final evaluations.
Benefits of the exam by period model include: students will only have 1 exam per day; no course conflicts; and most exams written in the regular classrooms where students have spent the semester learning with their teachers.
FINAL EXAM POLICIES/INSTRUCTIONS:
- New Block Schedule: See links below for exam dates/rooms. All exams are written in the morning (starting at 9:00am). Please see your teacher for details regarding exam length, etc.
- Absenteeism: Students who miss an exam due to illness must have their parents call to inform the school of the nature of the problem. A DOCTOR’S CERTIFICATE will be required.
- Lates: Students who are late must sign in at the main office and will be taken to the conflict room to write their exam. Students must arrive before the end of the exam to be allowed to write the exam.
- Supplies: Student notebooks, coats, etc. should be left in lockers. Only pens, pencils, etc., may be brought to the exam room. Calculators may be used unless specifically disallowed by the teacher setting the exam.
- Leaving Exam: Students MUST remain for the entire exam period. If your examination ends at a time when others are still writing, students are expected to leave the school quietly and directly.
- Cafeteria: The cafeteria servery will be closed during exams.
- Buses: Morning buses will arrive at the usual time to accommodate examinations written at 9:00 a.m. and will leave at the regular time (not immediately after exams finish). Remember to carry your bus pass with you!
- Inclement Weather/Bus Cancellations: If any WRDSB buses are cancelled in any geographic area of Waterloo Region, the exam schedule in ALL secondary schools will be postponed to the next day. If a “snow day” occurs, all exams will be shifted one day (ex. exam scheduled for January 25th would move to January 28th and all other exams would shift back one day). NOTE – the February 1st PA Day will not be moved if a snow day occurs (has significant impact system wide). Any snow day cancellations during exams will result in semester 2 starting later (after all exam dates have been completed).
- Textbook and Library Book Obligations: All textbooks must be returned at the start of each exam.
- Mark Review: Staff will be available to review course results for every student at the end of exams. Students who are concerned that they may have failed any courses are to contact their Guidance counsellor.
- Credit Recovery/Credit Rescue: Students in risk of not achieving credits may have the opportunity for credit rescue or recovery during assigned times in the exam period (afternoons and final performance exam/credit recovery rescue day – January 31st)
Important Note: In June 2019, grade 12 students will write their Period A Exam 1 day earlier to help with our June commencement (see schedule for details).