January 3rd, 2022
Today the Premier of Ontario announced the temporary closure of schools and move to remote learning, starting January 5 until at least January 17, to help control the spread of COVID-19.
We understand this is a stressful and uncertain time, and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we move to remote learning once again.
The Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) is fully prepared for the move to remote learning. We will share more information with staff, parents and students before January 5, 2022.
What we know:
- Remote learning will begin Wednesday, January 5, 2022.
- Elementary and secondary students will learn remotely until at least January 17, 2022. We will share information on school re-opening when the date is confirmed.
- Given community spread and the high transmission rate of the Omicron variant, staff will be reaching out to families/caregivers with students in ACE Classes to provide support.
- All before and after school programs (Extended Day Programs) will also be closed.
- Child Care centres located in WRDSB schools for children 0 to 4 will remain open.
- WRDSB will be meeting with the Region of Waterloo to discuss the possibility of Emergency Child Care programs operating during this time. We will provide additional details about emergency child care programs once they are available.
Although our school buildings will be closed, we are working hard to support student learning and well-being as our staff deliver remote learning materials through their Google Classrooms or D2L Brightspace. While many students were assigned a device prior to the break, for those students who do not have access to a device at home, please reach out to your child’s principal.
Keeping You Informed
- Find out what we know as soon as we know it: